Register FAQ/Rules Image Hosting Members List Calendar Forum Home

Go Back   Detroit Racing Forums > RSS NewsFeeds > ADRL Newsfeed

» Sponsors
Support Our Sponsors
Unread 11-26-2010, 10:36 AM   #1
NewsBot

NewsBot I need rep points!
Default Vial Embracing Underdog Role During Memorable Trip To Qatar

Ellis Vial, a self-described “little guy” from Gloucester, Virginia, is ready for the racing adventure and opportunity of his life. Vial, his wife Kim and his ‘68 Firebird are currently in Doha, Qatar after agreeing to take on some of the very best eighth-mile drag racers in the world for the upcoming Arabian Drag Racing League season.As a part-time participant in the American Drag Racing League’s (ADRL’s) top-level Pro Extreme class, Vial is no stranger to the competition, having recorded a career-best 3.85-second run at 199.97 mph earlier this year at the Summit Racing Equipment Ohio Drags IV at Summit Motorsports Park in Norwalk, Ohio. The records for the class, however, are 3.59 seconds and 211.69 mph, belonging respectively to reigning ADRL Pro Extreme world champion Frankie Taylor and his teammate Wes Johnston, both of whom will be in Qatar, too.Those are just two of the marquee names that will be racing in the Pro Extreme class in Qatar. Joining Vial overseas are the likes of 2009 ADRL World Champion Todd Tutterow, this year’s runner-up to Taylor, Joshua Hernandez, KH Al-Thani, the defending Arabian series champion and a race winner in the ADRL, Alex Hossler, who finished as the runner up in Qatar last year, and several others. “I think I know how Rocky felt when he went to fight Apollo Creed,” Vial said. “But I’ve got a great guy in my corner with my new crew chief, Chris Duncan, just like Rocky had with his trainer, Mickey.”Duncan tuned ADRL star Hossler to a pair of wins in Qatar last season and expressed confidence about visiting the Qatar Race Club victory lane again with Vial.“He’s got some new components on the car that he hasn’t even tested yet, but it’s with products that I’ve used before and had great luck with so I’m really not all that concerned,” Duncan said87. “It’s going to be a new adventure and I’m excited about it.”That sense of adventure is what finally convinced Vial, along with wife and teammate, Kim, to take the chance and commit to the eight-race series that stretches from early December to late in February next year. The first race starts on Dec. 2 and a there will be three consecutive weeks of racing.“I’ve got to do it. I can’t afford to do it, but I can’t afford not to do it,” Vial said.Al-Thani and the Arabian Drag Racing League are covering all of Vial’s travel expenses, as well as providing food, lodging and a rental car during his time in Qatar.“Kim and I talked about it and it was actually her that insisted we go over there. An opportunity like this doesn’t come along every day and I really have to thank KH for making it happen,” Vial said. “You know, if it wasn’t for Kim I probably would’ve sold this car a long time ago. She’s without a doubt the most important part of our team and just won’t let me quit and I love her for it. She eats peanut butter to go racing, I can promise you, because we go racing on pure heart; it sure isn’t wallet.”Vial also credits George Coleman of Coleman Automotive Machine in Gloucester for doing all the machine work that helped bring his “beast” to life, as well as offering thanks to Heath Smith at Specialty Hardware in Gloucester for providing the material needed for building crates to send overseas and George Rhodes at Office Supply of Gloucester for donating overnight shipping when he needed to send his engine heads up to Michigan.“It’s really great to see and feel that local support as we embark on this adventure and it means more to me and Kim than I can really express,” Vial said. “I feel like I’ve got the car and the talent and the ability and with a guy like Chris Duncan on my side I really believe we can go over there and represent everyone pretty well. Who knows, maybe we can deliver a knockout punch just like Rocky!”Vial also has an incredible Facebook page, where he is chronicling his time and adventures in Qatar. He has done a remarkable job posting photos of everything from his Thanksgiving meal to his villa to the scenery to even some racing pictures. To check it out, click on the following link for a variety of wonderful pictures: http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...3748173&v=wall

More...
NewsBot is offline   Reply With Quote