Register FAQ/Rules Image Hosting Members List Calendar Forum Home

Go Back   Detroit Racing Forums > RSS NewsFeeds > ADRL Newsfeed

» Sponsors
Support Our Sponsors
Unread 09-07-2010, 07:00 PM   #1
NewsBot

NewsBot I need rep points!
Default BTG Part I: Rockingham Dragway President Steve Earwood

The ADRL is making its fifth appearance at Rockingham Dragway for Simpson Dragstock VII, and it’s turned into much more than track president Steve Earwood (pictured) ever expected.In Part I of this two-part “Beyond the Guardwall” piece, Earwood took time for an interview to discuss just what a phenomenon Dragstock at Rockingham Dragway has become over the past five years. ADRL: What was your initial reaction when you first heard the ADRL was interested in coming to Rockingham?EARWOOD: Quite frankly, the first time I met (ADRL CEO and President Kenny Nowling) I was rather skeptical. I’ve been in this industry for 38 years and I’ve seen it all come and go. You always have promoters telling you they’re going to bring the biggest and best thing ever and I’ll just sit there and nod my head. Kenny came here and he was full of enthusiasm and, honestly, I thought he was just another suitcase promoter with big plans and big ideas. But when he knocked it out of the park, he made a believer out of me. Kenny’s gotten to be a very dear friend and I really respect him.ADRL: Obviously, that first event - Dragstock III - made you a believer. What was your reaction when the fans just kept coming in?EARWOOD: The first one just caught everyone by such a surprise. It really was a Woodstock-type event, which makes Dragstock a perfect name. We were expecting 2,500 people and we stopped counting at 27,000. It was incredible.ADRL: It had to be quite the shock to see all those people here and for you to shut down the gates. Do you remember what you were thinking?EARWOOD: It was either going to be the end of my career or we’re on to something big here (laughing).ADRL: Why do you think it’s become such a must-see event at this track?EARWOOD: It’s just gotten to be the event for us. It’s incredible drag racing and it’s the best show in drag racing. It’s become, by far, our largest event. Even for this year’s race, we’ve gotten more response in advance than I have in a number of events. People want to be part of the experience.ADRL: What do you think keeps fans coming back year after year for Dragstock?EARWOOD: It’s the quality of the show, no doubt. The ADRL has just kept improving the execution of the event itself, they’ve added classes and it just gets better every year.ADRL: How exciting is it for you to see a show that’s solely about the racing being the entertainment do so well?EARWOOD: It’s very gratifying to see. I’m an old-style guy and I’m not into all these other things to get fans to the track. I’m a traditionalist and just into solid, hardcore drag racing.It’s very gratifying to see the families here. It’s great that they have a formula where anybody can come.ADRL: This event has almost taken on a life of it’s own with how it is regarded among fans and racers. What’s that feeling like for you?EARWOOD: It’s rewarding to have the premier ADRL event and all the tradition and mystique that goes along with Dragstock. We built that right off the bat and we just have to keep improving. I didn’t come up with this, but this is truly the U.S. Nationals of the ADRL. It’s quite an honor.I’m just so grateful for what this event has done for the track.To read the second part of the interview with Earwood, including why he thinks the ADRL has become so successful and a hit with the fans, visit www.ADRL.us on Wednesday.

More...
NewsBot is offline   Reply With Quote