Register FAQ/Rules Image Hosting Members List Calendar Forum Home

Go Back   Detroit Racing Forums > Technical Discussion > The Shop

» Sponsors
Support Our Sponsors
Unread 05-04-2005, 08:25 PM   #1
Psyco Diver 69

Psyco Diver 69 I need rep points!
Default Alright my mind is burnt on this one

Ok, no more joking around, the "knock" noise is still there. From the last post I did about all this I checked more stuff out so heres what I know, feel free to ask me questions as I might leave out some details.:

The oil pressure when hot is at 20-25 and get to about 40-45 when above 2000 rpms

during the test drive I floored it I feel is not revving freely, almost like is struggling.

I took the oil cap off and it sounds like something is hitting again some thing think metaled, like the oil pan maybe.

When I'm under the car the sound is more defined and clearer at the back than the front of the motor.

After all my testing I checked the oil and its perfectly clean with no metal shavings

the last to times I had the intake off (Holley street dominator intake) I noticed the crack reappeared on the bottom on the exhaust crossover and the hole in the plenum dripped oil when I tipped the intake on its side.

Thats all that I can think of right now. Any ideas, cause I might just sell the damn thing
1972 Olds Cutlass S (parts car)
Psyco Diver 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2005, 08:51 PM   #2
Strtracer
Retired

Strtracer will become famous soon enoughStrtracer will become famous soon enough

Dont give up yet, this is just how these things are. If youre saying youre intake is cracked, then you need to get that welded, its aluminum, so someone should be able to fix it. Did you check your torque converter bolts, make sure all three are really tight. when under the car, can you feel the rapping if you touch the pan. Have you changed flexplates(flywheel), check the flexplate bolts to make sure that one of them is not to long and catching the back of the block when the crank is spinning. Let us know what you find.
Unread 05-04-2005, 10:13 PM   #3
Psyco Diver 69

I changed torque converters and the noise is the same. I never took off the flexplate either.I had the intake welded once before but it must have cracked right through. Someone suggested that I should unbolt the torque converter. I'll give that a check and while I have the dust cover off I'll give a close inspection of the flex plate, when I had the motor out I looked at the teeth but not the whole flex plate. Also I remember someone telling me to check the starter to see if the gear is hanging out and hitting the flex plate
Unread 05-04-2005, 10:44 PM   #4
1Quick88
Supporting Member

1Quick88 I need rep points!

check your flexplate. make sure there isnt any small cracks or that the bolts arnt loose. be carefull when u unbolt the converter from the flexplate and start the engine..sometimes u can hurt the little nub that sticks out of the converter. it rubs on the crank and ive heard of it causing problems..

88 Camaro - 400sbc w/ TH350 Trans
1Quick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2005, 11:14 AM   #5
Psyco Diver 69

I just went out to start her up so I can use my stethescope on the oil pan but my freaking starter is shot. It just clicks, what a freaking pain in the ass, this damn car must hate me or something. Now what should I do, I guess I could replace the damn starter or maybe pull the stupid ass motor out again. I wonder I remember someone saying something about the starter could be making the noise, I wonder if thats the problem.
Unread 05-05-2005, 12:13 PM   #6
Psyco Diver 69

That son of a bitch starter!!!!!!!!!! I just hit it with a long 3 foot extension a couple times and the car turned right over and now the car makes no knocking noises. I guess I'll go get a starter later on but what a pain in the ass this has been
Unread 05-05-2005, 03:47 PM   #7
BigWheelinBubba

BigWheelinBubba major contributorBigWheelinBubba major contributorBigWheelinBubba major contributorBigWheelinBubba major contributorBigWheelinBubba major contributorBigWheelinBubba major contributorBigWheelinBubba major contributorBigWheelinBubba major contributorBigWheelinBubba major contributorBigWheelinBubba major contributorBigWheelinBubba major contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyco Diver 69
That son of a bitch starter!!!!!!!!!! I just hit it with a long 3 foot extension a couple times and the car turned right over and now the car makes no knocking noises. I guess I'll go get a starter later on but what a pain in the ass this has been
Hey at least ya got it figured out
Unread 05-05-2005, 04:40 PM   #8
Strtracer
Retired

Strtracer will become famous soon enoughStrtracer will become famous soon enough

Congrats, and this is how cars are, tempramental pain in the asses, but when they run, we forget all the bull shit.