Register FAQ/Rules Image Hosting Members List Calendar Forum Home

Go Back   Detroit Racing Forums > RSS NewsFeeds > ADRL Newsfeed

» Sponsors
Support Our Sponsors
Unread 02-28-2011, 01:14 AM   #1
NewsBot

NewsBot I need rep points!
Default Catching Up With The 2010 Champs: PJD’s Tyler Allen

In our continuing periodic feature on the American Drag Racing League (ADRL) website, www.ADRL.us, we’re going to check in with our 2010 World Champions and see what each of them has been up to in the off-season as they prepare to defend their Speedtech “Battle of the Belts” titles during the 2011 ADRL Tour.Throughout the next two months leading up to the 2011 season-opener at Royal Purple Raceway in Baytown, Texas on March 25-26, we’ll be “Catching Up With The Champs,” giving a special feature to World Champions John Montecalvo (Extreme Pro Stock), Kim Morrell (Pro Extreme Motorcycle), Dan Millen (Extreme 10.5), Burton Auxier (Pro Nitrous), Frankie Taylor (Pro Extreme) and Tyler Allen (Pro Junior Dragster).The third of these six “Catching Up With The Champs” pieces takes a look at Pro Junior Dragster World Champion Tyler Allen and his exciting off-season.Tyler Allen’s drag racing career appears to have plenty of bright moments ahead.But the thoughts and feelings that rushed through his body that one magical night at Texas Motorplex will be tough to beat from here on out.Allen, of course, won the Pro Junior Dragster World Championship, hoisting his title belt high in the air after his trademark consistency carried him to the title.The moment remains fresh in the mind of the 12-year-old, whose engaging nature has made him a favorite in the racing world.“To hold that belt was just the most impressive thing,” Allen said. “Winning so just so awesome. It was the most exciting time of my life.”The belt stayed close to him and the rest of the Allen family who travel together to all the American Drag Racing League (ADRL) races.It also joined him at school when he returned, drawing plenty of inquisitive stares.In Allen’s home state of Kentucky, basketball reigns king, but there was plenty of appreciation for a belt almost as big as Allen.“They didn’t really understand it, but they liked the belt,” Allen said.Allen has never caught the basketball fever, instead sticking with drag racing and riding his dirtbike.Allen’s father got into drag racing more than 15 years ago and Tyler immediately caught the racing bug at an early age.It was also love at first sight when he saw his first junior dragster.“One year I saw a junior dragster and I said ‘I have to have one of them.’ I started practicing and just started racing,” Allen said.Allen quickly proved he had natural ability, winning his first ADRL race at Dragstock VI in 2009.He didn’t have any national-event wins in 2010, but Allen always performed well throughout the season.Part of the reason for Allen’s continued success is the support system he has at home.It’s a family full of racers - his dad and sister both drive - and it’s also a family that travels together. Every member comes along for the trip during each ADRL race, giving Allen plenty of time with everyone.“We have to get along very well. We’re always together,” Allen said.That includes the off-season, too, where Allen and company has been particularly busy.The hectic schedule has been Allen’s doing, however, thanks to a deal he made with his father before the 2010 season started.“The deal was if I won the world championship I got a new car. So I’m so excited to get a new car (pictured below),” Allen said. “We’ve been working hard.”That means double in Allen’s world, as he has to balance drag racing and building a new car with his schoolwork.Allen has to maintain an A-minus average to keep racing, a mark he’s been able to meet thus far.His favorite subjects are math and science, which leads directly into the 2011 season and how Allen plans to solve the back-to-back world championship equation.“I’m going to try my hardest to get back-to-back,” Allen said. “It’s going to be hard and I’m going to have a big bull’s-eye, but I’m excited to start racing.”(Photos by ADRL/Richards)

More...
NewsBot is offline   Reply With Quote