Register FAQ/Rules Image Hosting Members List Calendar Forum Home

Go Back   Detroit Racing Forums > RSS NewsFeeds > ADRL Newsfeed

» Sponsors
Support Our Sponsors
Unread 03-23-2011, 01:05 AM   #1
NewsBot

NewsBot I need rep points!
Default 2011 ADRL Previews: Extreme Pro Stock and Pro Extreme Motorcycle

The American Drag Racing League (ADRL) competitors in both Extreme Pro Stock and Pro Extreme Motorcycle know how to leave us wanting more.Thankfully, the wait is nearly over.The much-anticipated 2011 ADRL Tour begins this weekend with CarSafe Dragpalooza VII presented by LenMar Motorsports and all the highlight-reel action takes place at Royal Purple Raceway in Baytown, Texas.In a three-day series leading up to the race, we’ll preview all six ADRL classes (Pro Extreme, Pro Nitrous, Extreme 10.5, Pro Extreme Motorcycle, Extreme Pro Stock and Pro Junior Dragster), getting everyone primed for what will be the biggest year in ADRL history.On Tuesday, we’ll look at Extreme Pro Stock (XPS) and Pro Extreme Motorcycle (PXM), two excellent classes that have plenty of buzz heading into the weekend.Wednesday will give us Extreme 10.5 (XTF) and Pro Nitrous (PN), while Thursday will feature Pro Extreme (PX) and Pro Junior Dragster (PJD). EXTREME PRO STOCKSo how did this class leave everyone wanting more in 2011?Well, a memorable championship race, that’s how. With John Montecalvo and Pete Berner matched up in the finals of the Battle For The Belts, the longtime standouts both went an identical 4.071, with Montecalvo getting the edge - and the championship - with a better reaction time.Months later, Montecalvo is determined to defend that championship in a class that will be better than ever in 2011.“We all want to win,” Montecalvo said. “I’m looking forward to battling for the title and continuing to race in the ADRL. “I feel like we’ll be a contender again, but I know there’s a lot of people nipping at my heels and they’re going to come out swinging.”To defend that championship, Montecalvo will have to do it in a different format, as the ADRL adjusted its world championship format - to much acclaim - to a more conventional points series.The BFTB will remain as a one-race shootout, but the change has been met with applause and should make for an incredible XPS season.Had it been in effect a year ago, the competition would have been amazing, as Cary Goforth, Montecalvo and Brian Gahm were all close in points. Goforth had the points lead heading into the ADRL World Finals and Montecalvo thinks the change will make for a great season.“I want to thank the ADRL for giving us more to run for this year with bigger payouts and a shootout as well as the points fund,” Montecalvo said. “The ADRL guys really try to take care of their racers, and I certainly appreciate it.”Berner was another driver on board with the change.“We also appreciate the ADRL stepping up to increase the purse and implementing the points structure this year,” Berner said. “I think this is a great move on their part and gives us even more incentive to go fast! “With a points fund and the Battle For The Belts shootout, the ADRL has really upped the ante. We race at some of the best tracks in the country in front of thousands of fans with intense competition. It just doesn’t get much better than that! Bring on the 2011 season!”Berner is clearly excited and has his sights set on his first ADRL event win. He came close last year, but, like several other drivers, wants to get in that ADRL win column.Other top competitors looking to do the same include Cale Aronson, Trevor Eman, Bob Bertsch and Jeff Dobbins.Gahm, the winningest driver in the class (6), isn’t planning on changing much in his Mustang, but thinks the refinements he’s made will make for a car that again competes for a championship.“We’re going to start off right where we ended,” Gahm said. “(Gahm’s car) ought to come out running a 4.05 or somewhere like that right off the bat.”The two-car team of Cary and Dean Goforth will have plenty of new looks - from cars to crew members - but it could leave them better than ever. It was a forgettable year for Dean, who could never quite find the luck or rhythm to crack the top eight. Cary, meanwhile, had a banner year, winning twice and setting both the E.T. (4.04) and speed records (179.04 miles per hour). The focus now is on 2011.“We expect to pick up where we left off, and continue towards a championship in 2011,” Cary said. After his own tumultuous off-season in which he had a tumor removed from his kidney, Steven Boone is healthy and ready to make even more noise.He picked up his first career victory, though he didn’t qualify in the top eight in points. But Boone is thinking big for 2011.“I’m very excited to get back and hopefully contend for a championship,” Boone said. “We’re ready to go. I feel like 2011 is going to be our year.”A new season means plenty of new cars as well.Eman is debuting a new Mustang, while the Goforths will debut new cars at some point.Others included in that mix are CarSafe owner Mark Eckman, who is debuting in the class while teaming with Aronson Motorsports, Kevin Bealko, Team “O” Motorsports and several others.“We are looking forward to getting this season started,” Aronson said. “We are going to be lean and mean.”Said Bealko: “The Black Diamond Motorsports team has really stepped up its efforts in the XPS class of the ADRL with the delivery of this new GXP.” PRO EXTREME MOTORCYCLESo, how did this class leave us hanging?Well, two ways, actually. The first happened in October when Kim Morrell upset Ashley Owens in the Battle For The Belts finals after Owens’ completely dominating and record-breaking 2010 season.Morrell became the first female champion in the ADRL, whetting everyone’s appetite for 2011.The second way actually did happen in 2011 at Palm Beach International Raceway, the site of the Safety-Kleen Spring Drags II in April and the first time the ADRL will make an appearance at the track.Fans got quite the drag race in Pro Drag Bike at the Shakedown at Palm Beach as Ron Procopio matched up with area native Kim Morrell. Both went an impressive 4.121, but Procopio had the quicker .041 reaction time to take the victory in what could end up as one of the best drag races of the year.That’s a big win for Procopio, who ended the 2010 season strong and looks to already be in prime form as the 2011 campaign is set to begin. “I’m ready to hit the race track,” Procopio said. “I’m excited to be racing in the ADRL and I can’t wait to start the year.”Procopio went 4.11 after the ADRL season had ended last year, grouping him with a growing number of riders who have made considerable strides in the off-season.That group includes the likes of Rob Hunnicutt and Terry Schweigert, both of whom had standout racing seasons in Qatar as part of the Arabian Drag Racing League.Hunnicutt won twice - his first two ADRL wins - while Schweigert picked up a victory and won the points title.Both were blown away with their experiences, giving them plenty of momentum for the 2011 season in the ADRL.“I can’t get enough racing,” Schweigert said. “I’m refreshed and ready to go, and I’m really looking forward to starting this season.”Schweigert will look to break into the 4.0s this season, as will Hunnicutt and Procopio, who is now teaming with T.T. Jones as part of a new two-bike partnership.“We came to an agreement and we’re going to help each other out, and try to take this championship together,” Procopio said.This class impressed all the way around in 2010, in part because there were so many talented drivers amidst Owens’ brilliant year that included eight wins and records of 4.02 and 178.21 mph.Morrell delivered a 4.02 at Texas Motorplex in October and others in the talented class followed with great times as well. Three of the top five quickest fields came in 2010, including the quickest in ADRL history, a 4.28 in Virginia at the Speedtech U.S. Drags.Travis Davis earned a win, while riders like Eric McKinney, Lance Hines and Charlie Prophit all had notable performances.Scott Gray, the 2009 World Champion, had one event win, but the tail end of his year was marred with misfortune and bad breaks. If that disappears in 2011, it simply means there will be one more contender for Morrell to fight off.That’s not even including the new bikes from Chuck Wilburn, David Vantine and others.Of course, the biggest threat in most observers’ eyes will be Owens, backed once again by Fast by Gast and team owner Paul Gast, who is intent on making some big moves on his own bike.But a great deal of his attention will be paid to Owens and doing whatever he can to help him have another remarkable year.Owens, who spent a portion of the winter recovering from a post-season crash at a race, will get a new bike and Gast is plenty excited to see the results - and possibly the first 3-second run in the class.“The bike is going to be pretty solid. This thing is just unbelievable and just incredible,” Gast said. “I think we’re going to run 3 (seconds). We want to be the first ones to do it, so we’ll come out shooting.”Morrell, though, won’t be holding anything back, either.The moment the 2010 season ended was the moment she already started looking ahead to 2011 and she has plenty of big plans for the season.More than anything, her strong run to end 2010 - she advanced to two event finals before the world title - gives her added confidence competing against the top riders in the world.“I have new goals now and I’m definitely going to come out stronger at the start of the season. I definitely want to get in that 3-second range, too,” Morrell said.“I’m going to be even more determined and I think I’m stronger now than I’ve ever been.“I went through a year (2009) of not qualifying to year (2010) of being the third qualifier consistently, and now my goal is to be a No. 1 qualifier, set a world record and run in the 3s. I’m ready to go right now.”

More...
NewsBot is offline   Reply With Quote