Register FAQ/Rules Image Hosting Members List Calendar Forum Home

Go Back   Detroit Racing Forums > Technical Discussion > The Shop

» Sponsors
Support Our Sponsors
Unread 03-03-2005, 11:29 PM   #1
Strtracer
Retired

Strtracer will become famous soon enoughStrtracer will become famous soon enough
Default HEY,Mod Motor guys,

I got a question or 3. Correct me if Im wrong, Im just trying to get some info.

V8 Mod motor production started in 1992?

Which was the first car/truck to use it?

Besides the 4.6 and 5.4, what other motors are built off the Mod platform. V-6s?, V-10's?

So, has this motor actually been the great Modular design it was touted(sp) to be during its design and introduction, is Ford actually using it in numerous configurations/platforms, or just 2 or 3?
Unread 03-04-2005, 12:17 AM   #2
1Quick88
Supporting Member

1Quick88 I need rep points!

i know the mustang started using it in 96..after that im lost..lol i know im such a big help!!

88 Camaro - 400sbc w/ TH350 Trans
1Quick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2005, 08:35 AM   #3
Crazzy_Al
One man Wrecking Crew

Crazzy_Al people like meCrazzy_Al people like meCrazzy_Al people like meCrazzy_Al people like meCrazzy_Al people like meCrazzy_Al people like meCrazzy_Al people like meCrazzy_Al people like me

If I am not mistaken the first MOD motors where in 1992 and they were used in the F-150. Ford also has a V-10 MOD motor (I'm almost positive that it is a 7.3l) which is obviously used in it's Heavy Duty F-Series trucks. Ford is using it in almost every car/truck they have. The F-Series trucks, Navigators, Expeditions, Explorers, Aviators, Mustangs and Cobras all have mod motors now. I'd actually have to look into whether or not Ford uses these engine any V6 aplications. Let me get back to you on those, and please correct me if I'm wrong on any of the other statements I've made. I'm nearly certain on everything I said though...

Low, Loud, and "Stormtroopered"...and slow.
MPH.cc / Team MPH
Crazzy_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2005, 06:58 PM   #4
Casper302
Cruising graph

Casper302 people like meCasper302 people like meCasper302 people like meCasper302 people like meCasper302 people like meCasper302 people like meCasper302 people like meCasper302 people like me

Unread 03-04-2005, 10:21 PM   #5
357windsor
Drowning in trans fluid

357windsor I need rep points!
Default Mod motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazzy_Al
If I am not mistaken the first MOD motors where in 1992 and they were used in the F-150. Ford also has a V-10 MOD motor (I'm almost positive that it is a 7.3l) which is obviously used in it's Heavy Duty F-Series trucks. Ford is using it in almost every car/truck they have. The F-Series trucks, Navigators, Expeditions, Explorers, Aviators, Mustangs and Cobras all have mod motors now. I'd actually have to look into whether or not Ford uses these engine any V6 aplications. Let me get back to you on those, and please correct me if I'm wrong on any of the other statements I've made. I'm nearly certain on everything I said though...
Mod motors didn't come out in f-150's till 1997. They put the pushrod motors in truck till 1997 (f250/350). Ford had some strange truck combos out there due to the model changes for the f150 and f250. The 99 mod motors seem to be good, but the earlier ones are not as strong. I've read in the mags that a lot of companies have not come out with as many (or some nothing) for the mod motors due to Ford changing them (1999). Noe that they have come out with another version (3-valve) that may hurt the older mod motors.(But there's always blowers and nitrous ) I do know the torque was down on the first mod truck motors (this was stated in MM&FF). Hope this helps. I personally feel they're just too difficult to work on and parts are still too $$$ for some of the gains. How do you guys with them feel?
357windsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2005, 12:12 AM   #6
GTrackd
Lisasbootygoesbudunkadunk

GTrackd people like meGTrackd people like meGTrackd people like meGTrackd people like meGTrackd people like meGTrackd people like meGTrackd people like meGTrackd people like me

In 92 Lincoln got the 4.6 in the Town car and in the Mark I believe???
I have not looked it up yet to see for sure but i remember somthing along those lines...
Edit: Crown Vic got it in 92 also.....
The legend that is GTRACKD
my car is slower than yours....
And then..........

Last edited by GTrackd; 03-05-2005 at 12:16 AM.
GTrackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2005, 02:03 AM   #7
Crazzy_Al
One man Wrecking Crew

Crazzy_Al people like meCrazzy_Al people like meCrazzy_Al people like meCrazzy_Al people like meCrazzy_Al people like meCrazzy_Al people like meCrazzy_Al people like meCrazzy_Al people like me

I stand corrected. ***Tips hat to 357 and Chris***

How did I forget the Lincolns, Crown Vics and Marks?

MPH.cc / Team MPH
Unread 03-05-2005, 05:28 AM   #8
Joe5.0
Co-bah-ras & Chicks Mix rules!

Joe5.0 I need rep points!

IIRC the Duratec line is also part of the modular "family", but I could be wrong.

2003 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S -------- 14.0 @ 98.8 mph --- 218whp - 206wtq
6 Speed w/LSD ~ 19" Chrome Zenetti's w/Pirelli rubber ~ H&R Sports w/Tokico Illumina's ~ Lightweight 17's w/BFG DR's ~ Comptech Intake ~ JL 13W7 & 1000.1 Amp

Pics & Vids
Joe5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2005, 09:48 AM   #9
Strtracer
Retired

Strtracer will become famous soon enoughStrtracer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5.0
IIRC the Duratec line is also part of the modular "family", but I could be wrong.
OK, I found some more info online that indicates 3 basic sizes, 4.6,5.4, and a 6.8 V10. No V6's off this design(90*, Duratecs are 60* motors). 3 basic head designs, 2valve, 3valve, and DOHC 4 valve. Although widely used across the Ford lineup, it is not the motor that Ford engineers and designers hoped it would be. Did any one know that Ford bean counters recently killed a motor program designed to replace the Mod motor. Any body got any more info.
Unread 03-05-2005, 10:14 AM   #10
BigWheelinBubba

BigWheelinBubba major contributorBigWheelinBubba major contributorBigWheelinBubba major contributorBigWheelinBubba major contributorBigWheelinBubba major contributorBigWheelinBubba major contributorBigWheelinBubba major contributorBigWheelinBubba major contributorBigWheelinBubba major contributorBigWheelinBubba major contributorBigWheelinBubba major contributor

Back when my dad had a 93 Mark 8 i took it to Lapeer and ran it...it went 15.0 with an airbox full of sand That was fast for a daily driver back then
Unread 03-05-2005, 03:15 PM   #11
Strtracer
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWheelinBubba
Back when my dad had a 93 Mark 8 i took it to Lapeer and ran it...it went 15.0 with an airbox full of sand That was fast for a daily driver back then
This is sorta what Im getting at. A luxury/performance(read-heavy) car with 285HP that could run 14.9-15.1, in 1993, and now, in 2005, 12 years later, you can finally get a 300HP 2 valve. Im not trying to bash the guys with mod motors, Im trying to understand what ford has been doing ,as far as development, over the last 12 years. Fact is that the Mod motor was never designed for use in the Mustang because the Mustang was supposed to go FWD(Probe) in 94. So that use is an after thought. But aftermarket parts are available, and especially with blowers and N2O they perform quite well, but what about N/A. Whats the strong points and week points of the motor as far as different year blocks and heads go. Anybody got a timeline type chart that shows the different developments in mod motor technology.
Unread 03-05-2005, 03:17 PM   #12
Crazzy_Al
One man Wrecking Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strtracer
This is sorta what Im getting at. A luxury/performance(read-heavy) car with 285HP that could run 14.9-15.1, in 1993, and now, in 2005, 12 years later, you can finally get a 300HP 2 valve. Im not trying to bash the guys with mod motors, Im trying to understand what ford has been doing ,as far as development, over the last 12 years...
Aside from bloosting the 03-04 Cobras, NOT A DAMN THING! Lazy asses!!

MPH.cc / Team MPH
Unread 03-05-2005, 06:19 PM   #13
357windsor
Drowning in trans fluid

357windsor I need rep points!
Default Mod Motors

Well Ford killed (or delayed the Lighning) and delayed the Cobra. Ford thought about bringing back a pushrod (also saw this in MM&FF). Theysaid the tooling for 302/351w was moved. Nothing ever came of it. Engineers never want to admit they srewed up (a.k.a. 99 Cobra recall) . The problem is whereas the 302/351w was used forever the mod motors have not been around as long, pieces are $$$ to design/manufacture and Ford LOVES to change shit around! Certain pieces that will fit mod stangs won't work on a Crown Vic or Lincoln. The 3 valve heads won't fit on older mod motors so you can't upgrade. I think Ford is the only one that makes aftermarket heads and they're pricey!! The newer ones do love blowers though!!!
357windsor is offline   Reply With Quote