Register FAQ/Rules Image Hosting Members List Calendar Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Detroit Racing Forums > RSS NewsFeeds > ADRL Newsfeed

» Sponsors
Support Our Sponsors
Unread 11-04-2010, 03:37 AM   #1
NewsBot

NewsBot I need rep points!
Default Martin Likes Early Results Of New PX Nomad

Joey Martin has a car that will turn heads regardless of how quick it is.After two memorable passes at Texas Motorplex last month, Martin may be soon getting plenty of attention based more on how it performs.Driving a brand new version of his popular ‘55 Chevy Nomad at the LenMar Motorsports ADRL World Finals VI, the yellow station wagon, which has earned the “Lowmad” moniker over the years, suddenly became a contender in Pro Extreme with two incredible passes in Ennis, Texas.Martin went 3.71 at just more than 200 miles per hour in his first pass and then topped himself with career-bests of 3.69 at 203.80 mph on the second pass.It immediately shot Martin to second in qualifying in a loaded field for a race that will be finished next March.Not that Martin was all that surprised.“That’s what I was expecting,” Martin said. “I ran for the first time the previous weekend and went 3.77 on the second hit and 3.73 on the fourth hit. I figured I could do a 3.71 or .69.”For most, though, Martin came out of nowhere with those two passes.A two-time ADRL winner in 2006 at a runner-up at the World Finals in 2007, Martin was seemingly left behind in a class that has gotten incredibly quick in a hurry.But Martin and Toney Russell, who owns the yellow head-turner, recently made their own changes.The Russell Racing driver started working on the car in June with grand visions. Using the same set-up as his old blue Mustang that won him two ADRL races, the significantly lighter Nomad is suddenly capable of competing with the top drivers and teams in Pro Extreme.Of course, that was the plan all along for Martin and Russell.“It’s a brand new car so we can be competitive,” Martin said. “Mid-80s is all we could do before. This car is the exact same (as the Mustang), but it’s a lighter car.“The .71 we ran is the same tune-up as the Mustang going .93. It’s just the weight difference. Now I just want to win with this wagon.”His performance at Texas Motorplex is certainly a good step in that direction, and Martin said he expects to be a regular on the ADRL Tour in 2011 in the Pro Extreme class.But even Martin is mildly surprised with how quickly it has all come together.“I’m very happy with how this turned out,” Martin said. “We’re one-tenth (of a second) away from Top Fuel 60-foot times. This is very satisfying.”That Martin is doing all of this in the Nomad has made everything that much sweeter. The yellow Nomad may look as though it’s better served for carrying groceries, but that trademark look has made Martin’s PX car a fan favorite over the years. “It’s definitely unique. There’s not another car like this one,” Martin said. “Everybody’s always like, ‘Wow, that’s a station wagon.’ It’s pretty cool.”Martin is just as excited to see what will be in store for the 2011 season.Running in the 3.60s makes Martin an instant contender, but he has his sights on going even quicker.He even made references to the 3.50s, a time that only 2010 Pro Extreme World Champion Frankie Taylor has reached.But with a new “Lowmad,” Martin thinks anything is possible.“We’re capable of running with anybody now,” Martin said. “I think this car could go in the .50s if the air was good. It’s just our third race with this car, but now we’ve got something we can run with. I think we can be a contender.”(Photos by ADRL/Richards)

More...
NewsBot is offline   Reply With Quote