Register FAQ/Rules Image Hosting Members List Calendar Forum Home

Go Back   Detroit Racing Forums > Technical Discussion > The Shop

» Sponsors
Support Our Sponsors
Unread 01-30-2005, 12:36 AM   #1
ProJect83

ProJect83 I need rep points!
Default How To Do Valve Seals?

hey all, my daily driver(88cutlass 307) is really starting to get to me. my brother and I were talking the other day and as much oil as it burns i thought it would be the rings. but He was explaining to me that if it WAS the rings it wouldnt be as consistant as it has been. every week i probably put 1-3 qts in it, depending how and where im driving. city isnt to bad..probably only use 1 to 1.5 qts..but if im driving Highway i'll use 3 qts easy.

See when i got the car it sat for almost 3 years so we they they dry-rotted, and its not like its That noticable so i wouldnt think it would be the rings, cuz i've drove the car like this for over a year.

Anyway, I called advanced auto and they said the seals are only $10.49 and the better valve cover gaskets are $12 bucks. well needless to say, i think its worth the $25 bucks if thats what is it.

So, as to my question. How do we change out the valve seals? i know theres a fitting that fits into the spark plug hole to use an air compressor to keep the valves up, but what kind of spring compresser to get and how do i do that part of it? also, how do the seals seat? also..do the rocker arms have a sertain way to tightin' them? any info would be helpfull.

1988 Cutlass Supreme Classic Brougham - stock 307, E-brock 600cfm carb, true duels, accel coil, some really crapy cragar ss's, New Vinal headliner(LooKs Sweet!!)

1983 Cutlass Supreme Brougham - Project Car - 79 350, .030 over,3a heads , E-brock Performer cam, intake, accel dist, accel coil, hooker headers, 350 turbo trans, 1400 stall (getting better one), bodys soild, 7.5 rear, 2.41 gears
ProJect83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2005, 01:44 AM   #2
Psyco Diver 69

Psyco Diver 69 I need rep points!

I posted most of the job over at OP, I would copy and paste but I'm just that lazy
1972 Olds Cutlass S (parts car)
Psyco Diver 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2005, 01:57 AM   #3
ProJect83

ProJect83 I need rep points!

lol its kool.....i seen your post.. thanks

1988 Cutlass Supreme Classic Brougham - stock 307, E-brock 600cfm carb, true duels, accel coil, some really crapy cragar ss's, New Vinal headliner(LooKs Sweet!!)

1983 Cutlass Supreme Brougham - Project Car - 79 350, .030 over,3a heads , E-brock Performer cam, intake, accel dist, accel coil, hooker headers, 350 turbo trans, 1400 stall (getting better one), bodys soild, 7.5 rear, 2.41 gears
ProJect83 is offline   Reply With Quote