Register FAQ/Rules Image Hosting Members List Calendar Forum Home

Go Back   Detroit Racing Forums > Technical Discussion > The Shop

» Sponsors
Support Our Sponsors
Unread 08-25-2005, 02:57 PM   #1
lab1702

lab1702 people like melab1702 people like melab1702 people like melab1702 people like melab1702 people like melab1702 people like melab1702 people like melab1702 people like me
Default Step by step modding...

Is it generally safe to replace the exhaust on a mustang without touching the computer tune at all? How about also replacing the headers?

Trying to split things up into steps that each don't cost too much.. and have a tune done later when I get a CAI..
lab1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2005, 03:10 PM   #2
1Quick88
Supporting Member

1Quick88 I need rep points!

if u just put a cat back on and mufflers u should be ok with out a tune..if u mess with headers u might need one..im not really sure on the new mustangs though so wait on other's opinions..

88 Camaro - 400sbc w/ TH350 Trans
1Quick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2005, 03:46 PM   #3
Strtracer
Retired

Strtracer will become famous soon enoughStrtracer will become famous soon enough

Depends on which Mustang you have. If its a MAF injection set up, then the computer will self adapt with the exhaust and CAI mods without the need for an imediate re-tune. You wont be at youre max potential, but you will not be harming the engine, and you will feel the increase in power. You can even go with nitrous, or TB and Maf upgrades and still not "need" the tune. If you start changing heads, cam, compression, then you will have to reprogram, but the car should still run decently, just not to its fullest potential. So you should be able to do a lot of bolt on mods, then only pay for the dyno tune once.
Unread 08-25-2005, 03:54 PM   #4
Crazzy_Al
One man Wrecking Crew

Crazzy_Al people like meCrazzy_Al people like meCrazzy_Al people like meCrazzy_Al people like meCrazzy_Al people like meCrazzy_Al people like meCrazzy_Al people like meCrazzy_Al people like me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strtracer
Depends on which Mustang you have. If its a MAF injection set up, then the computer will self adapt with the exhaust and CAI mods without the need for an imediate re-tune. You wont be at youre max potential, but you will not be harming the engine, and you will feel the increase in power. You can even go with nitrous, or TB and Maf upgrades and still not "need" the tune. If you start changing heads, cam, compression, then you will have to reprogram, but the car should still run decently, just not to its fullest potential. So you should be able to do a lot of bolt on mods, then only pay for the dyno tune once.
He has a 2005 GT.

Low, Loud, and "Stormtroopered"...and slow.
MPH.cc / Team MPH
Crazzy_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2005, 03:58 PM   #5
99SVTAddict
Doesn't play well w/ others

99SVTAddict I need rep points!

Read a copy of MM&FF. There was an article on the 05's. Said that a CAI install now should have a tune with it. Can't remember why. Plus, just removing this catalyst they put in there was worth 5RWHP.

Cat-back....safe without a tune.
Headers....need a tune. You will go rich and lose power.
CAI....need a tune.

A tune in general, according to Lidio, is good for like 10-15RWHP on a stock 05.

Check out www.alternativeauto.com
Unread 08-25-2005, 04:13 PM   #6
GTrackd
Lisasbootygoesbudunkadunk

GTrackd people like meGTrackd people like meGTrackd people like meGTrackd people like meGTrackd people like meGTrackd people like meGTrackd people like meGTrackd people like me

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99SVTAddict
Read a copy of MM&FF. There was an article on the 05's. Said that a CAI install now should have a tune with it. Can't remember why. Plus, just removing this catalyst they put in there was worth 5RWHP.

Cat-back....safe without a tune.
Headers....need a tune. You will go rich and lose power.
CAI....need a tune.

A tune in general, according to Lidio, is good for like 10-15RWHP on a stock 05.

Check out www.alternativeauto.com
WAs about to say almost the same thing.... the computer on the 05 seems to be really picky when it comes to mods...
The legend that is GTRACKD
my car is slower than yours....
And then..........
GTrackd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2005, 04:15 PM   #7
lab1702

lab1702 people like melab1702 people like melab1702 people like melab1702 people like melab1702 people like melab1702 people like melab1702 people like melab1702 people like me

Good stuff... was hoping I wouldn't need to get every last thing the same day.

And sorry for asking what's probably real newbie questions. I haven't done anything like this to my previous vehicles, so I'm trying to learn as much as I can before I spend any money on the wrong parts etc...

Also, I read the alternativeauto website, and I like how he emphasizes not overdoing it til it breaks, so I'm probably going there when it's time for a tune.

Last edited by lab1702; 09-02-2005 at 08:01 AM.
Unread 08-25-2005, 04:31 PM   #8
Strtracer
Retired

Strtracer will become famous soon enoughStrtracer will become famous soon enough

Yep, the 05 is the bastard of the crowd. The damn car needs a tune right from the factory. Has to do with the drive by wire throttle, and control of the stupid IRC runners.
Unread 08-26-2005, 08:35 AM   #9
357windsor
Drowning in trans fluid

357windsor I need rep points!

Yeah w/ the drive-by-wire system car seems to have a fit w/ most mod. Love the new stangs but I'll stick to the older ones!
357windsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2005, 10:12 PM   #10
lab1702

I was thinking I'd email Lidio a couple questions about his 05 tune, but I can't seem to find an email address anywhere on the Alternative Auto website... Anyone here have it?
Unread 08-28-2005, 10:27 PM   #11
Strtracer
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by lab1702
I was thinking I'd email Lidio a couple questions about his 05 tune, but I can't seem to find an email address anywhere on the Alternative Auto website... Anyone here have it?
Youre better off calling him.
Unread 08-29-2005, 12:18 PM   #12
99SVTAddict
Doesn't play well w/ others

99SVTAddict I need rep points!

Last time I e-mailed him, the blower was installed on the car and running (all work done at his shop) before I got a response from him. hahahahahhahaa

In other words, call him.