Go Back   Detroit Racing Forums > Technical Discussion > The Shop

» Sponsors
Support Our Sponsors
Unread 01-27-2005, 11:28 PM   #1
1Quick88
Supporting Member

1Quick88 I need rep points!
Default nitrous setup

alright what all would i need and how much total are we looking at?
thinking of a 100-125hp. kinda of scared of blowing up my motor so i dont wanna go to crazy (never used nitrous before) lookin in summit and kind of liked the NOS Super Power Shot. (about $400) give me your opinions

thanks!

88 Camaro - 400sbc w/ TH350 Trans

Last edited by 1Quick88; 01-27-2005 at 11:32 PM.
1Quick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2005, 12:59 AM   #2
Strtracer
Retired

Strtracer will become famous soon enoughStrtracer will become famous soon enough

What are your pistons made out of? What kind of fuel system do you have to feed your carb right now.

A Power shot is a nice starter kit, and a 100 shot is nothing to sneeze at, but you'll end up wanting more. Ok for cast pistons up to 125.
If youre using forged pistons, and your motor is mechanically sound(not wore out) with good Head and rod bolt hardware(ARP), you can move into the Cheater, but, you have to have a GOOD fuel system, that moves some good volume. And you will want to add an ignition retard to that MSD so you can drive around with all your timing intact under normal conditions, and then drop out 6 degrees(2* for each 50hp). Look around for a used Cheater if you think you'll wanna go big one day. The $400 dollar kit is great start if you wanna start new. You'll end up wanting an extra bottle or 2, if you look at used bottles, check the expiration date, they can be recertified at a dive shop or welding supply, but its $15-25 a bottle depending on where you go. Pay accordingly.
Unread 01-28-2005, 08:20 AM   #3
1Quick88
Supporting Member

my pistons are hyperutectic (sp?) right now i just have a mechanical pump but would most likely go to a electric pump (maybe holley Blue or Red) when i do the nitrous. is NOS good kits or should i look at other brand names also??

thanks again!

Unread 01-28-2005, 11:57 AM   #4
Strtracer
Retired

Strtracer will become famous soon enoughStrtracer will become famous soon enough

I have run only NOS kits for the last 20+ years, never had a problem, cant speak for any one elses kits, they are all relatively new to the game. With Hyperutectic's, stay with the 100-125 max. If your mechnical pump is a quailty part(not a murrays), then you dont need the electric pump at this level. If you are going to upgrade you fuel system, get something other than a Holley Blue or Black. Ive used the holleys because for the longest time it was the only affordable pump, but Ive had to replace them at least 5 times in the last 10 years, and they really dont have the volume that a good street pump should supply for a combo carb/nitrous set up.(I run 2 pumps and 1/2" lines) Ive run the Powershot and the Superpower shot systems on mechanical pumps(Dodge/Chevy) and never had a problem.
Unread 01-29-2005, 02:27 AM   #5
1Quick88
Supporting Member

alright cool, thanks for all the info hopefully i can pick up a kit and get it going by mid summer..got to finish the car and get some exhaust done first!

thanks again

Unread 01-29-2005, 12:00 PM   #6
Casper302
Cruising graph

Casper302 people like meCasper302 people like meCasper302 people like meCasper302 people like meCasper302 people like meCasper302 people like meCasper302 people like meCasper302 people like me

I ran the power shot (125) with my car all summer and no problem's. I have a holley Blue pump, now I dont have any after market igniton system's all stock, but I had my father tune the car and marked it with red marker on my block, one spot for all motor and another spot for nitrous and beside's that I changed plug's (the different heat range's) I ran a carb plate system with TRW 10.5.1 Piston's (forged) with a stock crank and it ran fine. With 100-125 you should be fine with stock ignition if you wanna set the timing your self along with changing plug's every time you wanna spray or run motor.

Good luck! nitrous is a great power adder, just think 125+ HP at the to uch of a toggle switch. But empty bottle's suck and cost money LOL.
Unread 01-30-2005, 05:47 PM   #7
1Quick88
Supporting Member

i tell my self now that im not going to use it that often but i know how i'll be when i get it..the car will feel so slow if im not using the spray lol..i have the msd 6al and mike suggested gettin a nitrous retard. got any recomondations? money is a factor so i dont need the best but not trying to go to cheap at the same time..

also what spark plugs should i go with? iv always ran ac delco plugs in my motor..i hear your sopposed to go with a colder plug or something? not to sure..

thanks again!

Unread 01-30-2005, 07:36 PM   #8
Strtracer
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Bad406RS
i tell my self now that im not going to use it that often but i know how i'll be when i get it..the car will feel so slow if im not using the spray lol..i have the msd 6al and mike suggested gettin a nitrous retard. got any recomondations? money is a factor so i dont need the best but not trying to go to cheap at the same time..

also what spark plugs should i go with? iv always ran ac delco plugs in my motor..i hear your sopposed to go with a colder plug or something? not to sure..

thanks again!
Possibly a heat range colder, but thats mainly to keep you out of detonation, if you add the ignition retard, you may not need the colder plugs. Your initial kit, an extra bottle, the ignition retard(should be able to find a used one), will do to start. Then a bottle heater and gauge to monitor bottle pressure, but not neccessary right away. For track use in a camaro, because its a hatch, the rules require a blowdown tube that will vent the N2O out of the car incase of to much pressure, but if you hide the bottle in your spare tire well, they probably wont check, if your only going to the track once in a while. Blow down isnt that expensive, it just has to be done when the bottle is empty, and I would recommend the braided hose vs. anodized aluminum.
Unread 03-26-2005, 09:56 PM   #9
Scott_DriveLineSolutions
Offically an 8 second car
Sponsor

Scott_DriveLineSolutions I need rep points!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Bad406RS

thanks again!
1Bad406RS you need to contact me, I have been running a NOS system for the past 6 years in a 1986 Camaro using the in tank pump. I ran a 255lph in-tank pump with a malory 4 port regutator and a 150 cheater all sucking off the same regulator. I went to the dyno and the A/F was a perfect 12.5 - 1 all the way through 7500 rpm. This year i got the tank sumped and I am running a 2 stage NOS system off of a Holley Black pump.
Scott_DriveLineSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2006, 06:24 PM   #10
Chevy396lt

Chevy396lt I need rep points!
Default NOS jets per HP

I need the numbers for the jets for the HP from the NOS kit for a cheater kit

Last edited by Chevy396lt; 03-05-2006 at 06:28 PM.
Chevy396lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2006, 09:10 AM   #11
357windsor
Drowning in trans fluid

357windsor I need rep points!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy396lt
I need the numbers for the jets for the HP from the NOS kit for a cheater kit
I think they have it on their website.
357windsor is offline   Reply With Quote